Client: Galway County Council.
Reconstruction of Leenaun Bridge which carries the Clifden to Westport N59 road over the Lahill River at the end of the coastal Fjord, with a multi-span arch.
Leenaun Bridge carries the Clifden to Westport N59 road over the Lahill River at the end of the coastal Fjord. The project consisted of the reconstruction of Leenaun Bridge which was washed away along with 20m of the N59 carriageway in July 2007 with a multi-span arch. Leenaun (Irish: An Líonán, meaning “where the tide fills”)
Work carried out on the project included:
- Demolition and site clearance of debris from previously existing bridge up to extent of the original foreshore
- Design, implementation and maintenance of traffic management and Service diversions
- Realignment of existing N59 and the R336 including provision for drainage and service ducts.
- Work within inter tidal zone and foreshore protection measures & in stream protection measures.
- Flood relief retaining walls and embankment slope retention works
- Permanent Load Bearing Piles and extensive sheetpiling
- Pier and abutment construction