Work involves engineering design, procurement, and contract administration for various heavy civil infrastructure and tunnelling projects. The work is intense and requires engineers with good judgement, a practical understanding of construction and construction equipment, and the ability to hold their head and perform under pressure.
The successful candidate will be working out of Ward & Burke’s Langley office/yard, as well as various jobsites across the Greater Vancouver area as required.
Key Qualifications for Position:
- A recent graduate (within 1 year) with a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with a major in Geotechnical or Structural Engineering – GPA of 3.5 or higher – having taken courses in Reinforced Concrete Design, Steel Design, Foundation Design, and Geotechnical Engineering.
- Experience working with AutoCAD or a similar 2D/3D drafting software and ability to complete clear and understandable design drawings efficiently.
- Detail oriented with an understanding of reinforced concrete and steel design, soil mechanics, and familiarity with ACI Design Codes.
- Ability to review and understand water/sewer construction drawings and prepare preliminary designs and quantity take-offs during procurement stages.
- Previous experience working in the construction industry is an asset – namely heavy civil construction of sewers, watermains, tunnels etc.
- Interest in site work with ability to travel and work extended hours as required to meet deadlines.
- Registration with or eligibility to register as an E.I.T. / P.Eng.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Design of temporary support of excavation shafts and permanent concrete structures to ACI Standards – including preparation of formal design drawings and design calculation packages (performing engineering analysis by hand and using engineering software).
- Design of reinforced concrete tunnelling pipe for various project conditions using appropriate pipe design codes.
- Support procurement of projects including preparation of Request for Proposal Packages, Request for Qualification Packages, as well as conceptual designs, preliminary schedules and support the development of cost estimates.
- General drafting and preparation of working plans and shop drawings in AutoCAD including plan-and-profile drawings, and as-built packages.
- Contract administration for ongoing projects including the preparation of technical submittals and addressing review comments from clients and engineering consultants. Technical submittals include method statements and working plans.
- Provide design reviews/feedback and engineering support to ongoing projects as required.
- Management of municipal permits and coordination of subcontractors/architect as required for the ongoing construction of the yard in Langley, BC.
Terms of Employment: Permanent, Full Time
Salary: CDN$ 70,000
Hours: 8:00 am – 5:30 pm Monday to Friday
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
Experience: AutoCAD, MS Office, Reinforced Concrete Design, Steel Design, Geotechnical Engineering, Scheduling. Prior work experience in design or construction a benefit.