Ward & Burke are one of the largest companies in Canada specializing in micro tunnelling. We are looking for the ideal candidate for installation, maintenance, and repair of electrical equipment and systems for our microtunnelling projects in the GTA.
We use specialized micro tunnelling machinery from Germany which requires constant calibration, maintenance, and repair. The successful applicant must have the required experience and detailed knowledge in regards the calibration, maintenance, and repair of the Herrenknecht AVN (automatic tunneling machine wet) tunnel boring machines.
Underground Electrician (Industrial Electrician – Microtunnelling)
Location: Mississauga, ON (Various Locations; On the road job)
Salary: 46.59 hourly / 35 to 44 hours per Week
Terms of employment: Permanent employment; Full time (Day, Early Morning, Evening, Morning, Night, Overtime Required)
Start date: Starts as soon as possible
Benefits: Health benefits
Vacancies: 3 vacancies
Certificates, licences, memberships, and courses: Industrial Electrician Trade Certification
Education: Other trades certificate or diploma; or equivalent experience
- 5 years of industrial electrical experience.
- Completed electrical program/course/certification or apprenticeship.
- 1+ years of experience troubleshooting, calibrating, repairing and operating microtunnelling electric controls and equipment suited to a variety of ground conditions.
- 1+ years knowledge of microtunnelling equipment operation, safety protocols and electronic instrumentation requirements.
On the road job: Work locations may vary. Frequent or constant travel is required from the employee.
Work site environment
- At heights
- Confined spaces
Work setting: Urban area; Various locations; industrial construction; Civil (road and bridge construction, etc.)
- Install, examine, replace or repair electrical wiring, receptacles, switch boxes, conduits, feeders, fibre-optic and coaxial cable assemblies, lighting fixtures and other electrical components
- Test electrical and electronic equipment and components for continuity, current, voltage and resistance
- Maintain, repair, install and test switchgear, transformers, switchboard meters, regulators and reactors
- Maintain, repair, test and install electrical motors, generators, alternators, industrial storage batteries and hydraulic and pneumatic electrical control systems
- Maintain inventory of stored material
- Troubleshoot, maintain and repair industrial, electrical and electronic control systems and other related devices
- Interpret electrical code specifications
- Conduct preventive maintenance programs and keep maintenance records
- Read and interpret drawings, blueprints, schematics and electrical code specifications to determine layout of industrial electrical equipment installations
- Install, maintain and calibrate industrial instrumentation and related devices
- Review operations and maintenance manuals for microtunnelling equipment and perform preventative maintenance tasks.
- Respond to unplanned maintenance and repairs requests.
- Work in underground conditions solving electrician faults and issues.
- Communicate and coordinate with on-site project managers, supervisors, and head-office management.
- Collaborate with other electricians and supervisor to ensure all electrical systems meet project specifications and requirements.
- Ensure that repairs are completed within agreed/projected timeframe.
- Adhere to health and safety regulations.
- Maintain accurate records of all work performed, including documentation of any changes or modifications made to electrical systems.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Must be willing to work in a physically demanding environment.
- Knowledge of and experience in all aspects of Herrenknecht AVN microtunnel boring machines.
- Install, maintain, and repair electrical systems for microtunnelling projects, including power distribution systems, lighting, controls, and communication systems.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose electrical issues and develop solutions to ensure continuous operation.
- Inspect, calibrate, operate, design, test and repair electrical components and controls for microtunnelling equipment , including TBMs, control containers, mud separation systems, diesel generators, slurry pumps and feed pumps.
- Assist in the establishment of protocols and procedures related to the inspection, design, testing, adjustment, operation and evaluation of electrical, electro-mechanical and electronic components, including motors and bulkhead panels for microtunnelling equipment, to ensure continued functionality and longevity.
- Keep up to date with advancements, micro tunnelling technology and new and existing models.
- 1 to 2 people
- 3-4 people
Transportation/travel information: Valid driver’s licence; Willing to travel
Own tools/equipment: Steel-toed safety boots; Hard hat
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Manual dexterity
- Attention to detail
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Ability to distinguish between colours
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Fast-paced environment
- Overtime Required
- Physically demanding
- Tight deadlines
- Client focus
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Excellent written communication
- Team player
- Health benefits: Dental plan; Health care plan; Vision care benefits
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Veterans, Visible minorities
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
By Email: email@example.com
This job posting includes screening questions. Please answer the following questions when applying:
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Are you available for the advertised start date?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
- Do you have the above-indicated required certifications?